Dental implants are a popular tooth replacement option that gives you a similar look, feel, and function as your natural teeth. They have been used for decades to replace one or more missing teeth – when combined with bridgework or dentures – with typically over a 98% success rate.
That said, the success of your dental implant placement procedure depends on finding a qualified and experienced dental implant specialist in Chula Vista, CA.
For patients with unhealthy natural teeth that need extraction or one or more missing teeth, your dental implant specialist may recommend dental implants. Generally, they can be used to:
- Fill gaps in your mouth after tooth removal to prevent remaining teeth from shifting
- Restore your speech, chewing, and digestion ability
- Restore your smile
- Restore or enhance your facial features
- Support a denture or bridge for added comfort
- Resolve bite problems or joint pain due to shifting teeth
How implants work
Implants comprise artificial roots made from biocompatible titanium material that fuses with the underlying jawbone to provide stable support for the replacement tooth. After the implant has bonded with the bone tissue and the gum tissue has healed, an abutment is attached to connect the crown to the implant.
The bone grows around the implant and combines with it, through a process known as osseointegration, producing an extremely strong bond.
Most patients with healthy gum and bone tissue are good candidates for dental implants. The treatment usually requires multiple visits to the dentist over a period of several months as follows:
- First visit: Consultation to determine your suitability for dental implants and tooth/teeth extraction
- Second visit: Surgical placement of the implant into the jawbone. Healing takes several months.
- Third visit: Placement of the artificial tooth (crown) or teeth (dentures) onto the implant. The crown is customized to match the size, shape, and color of adjacent teeth to give you a uniform smile.
Visit us today
If you are interested in implants, please schedule a consultation with a dental implant specialist in Chula Vista, CA, today. They will help you determine whether you’re a good candidate for dental implants, and recommend an appropriate treatment plan to restore your smile.